Dethroning the Diplomat


He was impossible to reason with. 
We got along only because we were neighbours,
nothing more.
I stood no chance in the presence of his arrogance
because he was a peacemaker;
any opposition would be deemed
an unfortunate cry for attention. 
I just wanted to escape his presence,
like a deer on a cliff's edge
sensing imminent danger
behind me is death,
in front of me is death;
both painful,
neither worth the other option. 
I was the gentlest lamb
who became the deadliest viper
in two minutes. 
Steam from my skin
fire in my eyes,
anger that sprouted from the heart,
as though an apple had blossomed from a banana tree. 
All I saw and felt was a tornado,
and the angrier I became
the gentler he spoke,
which caused me to wonder then,
why is the slither of a serpent
much softer than the cry of a lamb? 
Does the rattle of a snake's tale hush deer to sleep,
it doesn't,
but the sting of a viper does.


Post a Comment