Miscarriage


I took the time to search myself 
to free me from a deepening canyon; 
I was all too lost to be a victor.
 I had drowned myself in other people,  
I wanted to be like them- 
nomads,  
lost in a modern era of
stagnant ideologies
and a
 juxtaposition called life  

So I raced to the end of what faceless humans handed me 
I choked on their diplomas
 regurgitated formulas 
analyzed what had already been 
just so I could please the plenty
 then disappoint the few 
who thought I was different- 
because dream-chasers
 and nightwatchers 
are children of the sky 
who use it as a cover 
to  resurrect the promise buried 
by redundant dead end jobs 
and cramped office spaces

I write to apologize
 to every version of me 
who didn't make it 
because I murdered them-  
still born- 
in the process of dreams: 
the pilot 
the doctor 
the architect
 the painter 
the wife of the hypocrite prophet 
Beethoven's mistress 
the dreamer 
the pianist t
he violinist; 
the death certificate is heavy with their names- 
a miscarriage is never easy to swallow. 


 I promise,
 one day 
I will shed my armor 
and no longer be the terminator of my dreams 
one day 
i will carry full term the pain 
like a nine month promise turned to joy, 
one day 
my dreams will not scare me 
and I will step out of the skin they created for me,  
one  day-
 because 'One day' 
is any day
with a new name. 


With Love, SylJoe

Post a Comment